Saturday, May 29, 2010

So I got rid of Facebook

Well, I found out how to permanently delete a Facebook account (as opposed to merely deactivating it), and at one o'clock today, I did it. If you're interested on how to do it, log in and go here. The rest is self explanatory. DO NOT log in for two weeks after you've done this, otherwise it will undo the process. Your entire account should be gone after two weeks and your days as a slave to Facebook will finally be over.

What pushed me to do it? Well, it was simply a drain on my life. Now, I didn't use Farmville or any of that shit. I only used it for photo sharing and talking to people, but I still wasted a good chunk of time on there. I would always find myself going online to see who else was online and available to chat. Even after leaving the site, I would find myself back on Facebook. It got to where I would go to a couple of other sites, type in the address for Facebook, see the page, and think to myself, "What the fuck am I doing back here?"

It was much like my feeble attempts at online dating (yes, feel free to chuck rotten vegetables at me, I know). It would consume so much of my life, and ultimately, it was useless. Just false hope and a brief sense of satisfaction that eventually just turned into something I did simply to dull the impulse (much like an addiction to nicotine).

In the words of the great Stan Marsh from South Park, "Dude, fuck Facebook, seriously."

If you want to keep in touch with others, I recommend Skype, instant messengers, email, or the good old telephone. For sharing photos, use Flickr or some similar service. (I personally use Flickr.) Go raise crops in real life if you want to manage a farm, for Christ's sake! It would take the same amount of time you spend managing a virtual one of Facebook.

Unfortunately, I have used the site before, so I am not a Facebook virgin, but I can start my secondary Facebook virginity in stride.

Proudly free of Facebook as of the twenty-ninth of May, two thousand nine,
Matt

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME TO ANOTHER MINORITY! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha yup I know. One of my co-workers doesn't have one, either. We're the "cool" people, I think lol

    ReplyDelete